3/30/12

DIY Watercolor Paints.

I found this idea scribbled in an old notebook that I found in my old room at my grandma's, I have no idea where it came from, if you know, let me know so I can credit my source! I like to give credit where credit is due, but I can't remember for the life of me.

I made watercolor paints. You know, the hard, dry ones that you use by dipping your brush in water, and then in the paint? Yeah, those, I feel like we go through so much paint around here, I love finding recipes that I can do myself with things I have in the kitchen, so naturally I got super stoked when I found this.

Tools: 

  • containers to store paint
  • spoon for mixing
  • toothpicks
  • bowl for mixing
Ingredients: 
  • Food Coloring
  • 3 T. baking soda
  • 3 T. cornstarch
  • 3T. vinegar
  • 1 1/2 t. light corn syrup



I talked about how much I like these little tubs in this post, I have tons of them! I decided to put my food coloring in first, and I highly recommend doing it that way. My colors are (top left, to right bottom) red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, and empty...I mean white. 


I took all of the ingredients and mixed them up in a bowl (well, all except for the food coloring, and we already used that) it gets really stiff and hard to stir. 


Then I spooned it into my containers, and used toothpicks to stir the colors in, I recommend doing them one at a time, as the longer they sit, the stiffer they get, the harder they are to stir. Then, let them harden. This photo is just minutes after I made them. 


This is after drying for two days, with the lids off. We dipped our brushes, and painted. The black was more gray than anything, and that's fine by me. After we finished, I just popped the lids back on and up in the cabinet they went, hopefully they'll last us a long time.