3/26/12

Nail Polish Coasters~UPDATED WITH PHOTO TUTORIAL

I posted this a while ago on Pinterest, but with the new character limits it cut off half of the instructions, at the time I made these I didn't think I'd be blogging, so I don't have a step by step tutorial for you, but if enough people are interested, then I will make one, I'll try to explain this the best that I can, and if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them! I'll give credit where credit is due, and admit that Big T actually thought this up after seeing this I was looking for something to do for a church auction, and was going to do some Mod Podge coasters and he said "Hey! Why don't you do that nail thing on the coasters?" That was that and they were born!



UPDATE: Photo Tutorial!

I finally decided to do a photo tutorial of this! This one post alone has had almost 1,000 hits, and a couple hundred re-pins, so I thought it was time, anyway, I hope you enjoy it, and if you make any, please share them! I'd love to see them!

Supplies: 



  • Nail Polish in desired colors (go ahead and take the lids off)
  • Covering for work surface (I used a piece of cardboard)
  • Ceramic tiles
  • Bowl large enough for tiles about half filled with water (notice the stuck on polish from previous coasters, use something you aren't fond of)
  • Toothpicks
  • Gloves
  • A clear coat or sealer (not shown)
  • A backing (felt, cork, etc.-not shown)

How to:

  • You have to work FAST, I can not stress this enough! 
  • Start by dropping some polish on the water
  • Continue adding until all desired colors are added
  • Stir with a toothpick
  • Hold the tile in a gloved hand and dip it right in on top of the polish.
  • Give the tile a little shake, and pull it straight up
  • Remember to do this all as quickly as you can.
  • Set out to dry
  • You can then take another toothpick and swirl it around the water to get the skin of dry polish off and then you can move onto the next one using this same water.


*Do not use any that says lacquer, or fast drying, they didn't work for me, at least, they dried too fast