3/28/12

Paintings you can smell

When i was in high school I always tried to do things to push the envelope, and make people wonder. One time in particular stands out to me, I had decided to make a collage about everything that is wrong with the world, I bought a globe, sliced it in half, painted the inside black and glued it to a HUGE piece of wood that I was using. I spent weeks cutting out pictures and words depicting all the horrible things wrong in the world and gluing them on, I added shards of broken multicolored glass, and then, I added spices. Stinky spices, good smelling spices, all of them, to represent our world, of course, I worked on that for weeks(I was/am very slow at getting things accomplished) Needless to say, EVERYONE that had art hated me for that time period, I can't tell you how many people walked up to me every day demanding to know when I would be done, and yell at me for stinking up the place. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I tossed it in the dumpster right after it was graded, out of shame and embarrassment.

Anyway, one of yesterday's activities reminded me of that, although this one smells good...well, like a fake fruit salad, so it all depends on your sniffer.


First, let's gather our supplies:

  • Small containers for paint. I like these little tubs I got at Dollar Tree, I think they come 6 or 8 in a pack, I've had them forever, and I really like them. 
  • Drink Mix, I used store brand, Lemon, Orange, Grape and Strawberry
  • Water
  • Paper
  • Something to paint with, I use cotton swabs, because I get tired of washing a thousand and two paintbrushes.




I started by adding one spoonful of mix to each container. 


Then, I added some water, probably a tad more than the amount of mix, the children were impressed when the colorless powders suddenly turned colors. I put the lids on and let the kids give them a gentle shake to mix them up.


Then, we painted. After they dry you can "scratch and sniff" them, and the kids loved that...these are just a couple of examples.