5/5/12

Big T's New Lunches.

Since I've known Big T he's been a sandwich kind of guy, every day for years he's taken a sandwich for his lunch, with the occasional leftovers as a substitute, so I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when I was getting groceries last week and he said "I want salads for lunch now." I was thrilled, of course, and am super happy... especially when he picked out the rest of his meals for the day and they were all pretty healthy.

The only problem with this is that Big T has to leave the house around 3:45 every morning, and salads require a little more work than sandwiches do, I know my husband, and I know that if he has to cut and wash lettuce every day at 3 a.m. he's not going to be eating salads for very long. I can't blame him, so I decided it was my wifely duty to assemble his lunches for the week so he didn't have to do any work...aren't I sweet?

Anyway, I thought I'd share how I did it. I cut up and washed all the lettuce and put it into recycled glass jars (I save everything) because I don't have a bunch of empty canning jars, I just used what I had. I put spinach leaves in the bottom, and then packed the rest with lettuce. I also packed up the rest of his meals for the day, breakfast, lunch, and two snacks and put them in a little basket in the fridge, and then I can refill it every day and he can just pop the items in his lunchbox on his way out the door.


Here it is all ready to do packed up, the two clear containers stacked are dressing, one for his salad, one for his veggies, and then peanut butter for his celery, and the dip container is cottage cheese.

His breakfast, a fiber bar and yogurt (he only likes Whips)


His morning snack, veggies and thousand island dressing and peanut butter.


His lunch, salad, cottage cheese, tomatoes, and thousand island dressing.



Afternoon snack, fruit and a yogurt.



All in the basket, ready for the fridge.



He's really enjoying this change, and says that he's still full at the end of the day, which is a huge change, he used to come home famished. The only change for this week will be boiled eggs and homemade croutons. I have all the jars and dressings ready to go in the fridge, and then just refill the basket while he's at work. They stayed fresh all week.