8/5/12

Sand Jars...Okay, salt jars.

Do you remember when we were kids and we used to make layered sand jars? I made one every year at the fair, sometimes they glued on googly eyes and hair, I loved them. So, about a month ago now I decided it would be fun to do them with the kids...only I didn't have any sand, but what I did have was Epsom salts and food coloring. I thought I'd share with you how I made them, the ones I'm going to show you in the tutorial are from fourth of July...so, I've been meaning to do this for awhile. Here is a bad cell phone picture of the ones the kids made (they are in old, washed, plastic spice jars)

The kids really enjoyed doing this, and we've done it a few times since. It's a great way to use up the pile of recyclables I have reserved for craft projects, and great hand eye coordination, and fine motor...but don't tell the kids that they're benefiting from it ;)



This is a super simple project, and lots of fun, and I think they looked pretty on my table too! I used spice jars for these too, only these are glass, and I don't use them anymore. I think I'll switch them out for various holidays! 

1.) Clean jar:













2.) Epsom Salts:











3.) Divide among containers for coloring (I used baby food containers)







4.) Add food coloring:











5.) Put the lid on, and shake (the kids loved this part)







6.) Layer colors as desired into jars, I used formula scoops (thanks, Anna for having a baby!)







7.) Pop the lids back on and store the rest for later!







Put the lids on the jars, add a pretty ribbon, if you so desire, and admire your work!