3/11/13

Homemade Toothpaste

You know that old illustration about watching what you say because once the words are out you can't put them back? They normally use a tube of toothpaste to illustrate this, squeezing it all out and then saying "now put it back in...you can't" Well, I am here to disprove that. We're going to fill it back up, and not only that but put something BETTER in it! I am going to show you how to make homemade toothpaste using two, or three ingredients that you should have on hand, and then how to put it back into an old toothpaste tube.

Conventional toothpaste is full of yucky things and colorings, blech. I prefer a more natural method to all of my cleaning and personal care, so I went in search of a way to DIY a better toothpaste I found lots of choices, but all of them had things I didn't have on hand. I found a few ideas of just using baking soda or just using coconut oil, or using both. So, that's what I did. You can use essential oils, but I know that a lot of people don't have those on hand, so I tried some with ginger because most people have it, and it's super good for you, especially during cold and flu season.

Ingredients:

  • 3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
  • 3 Tablespoons Coconut oil
  • Pinch of ground ginger (optional) 
Use a hand mixer to whip the coconut oil for a few minutes until it looks about like this: 

Then mix in your baking soda and ginger or other flavorings. You could be done at this point, and just store it in a jar, or you could grab an empty toothpaste tube and a syringe. 

Run hot water through your tube several times (a slow stream is easier than turning it on all the way) fill, squeeze out, repeat until the water runs clear. Let dry, and then use a syringe to suck up the toothpaste and squirt it into the tube. 


It is tedious, and took about five minutes, but I think it's worth it, especially for space saving, and it's an easier transition, when you are so used to grabbing that tube every day. 

That's really it! This got me about half a tube. I've been using it for a while now, but just got around to posting this!


Some tips and ideas:
  • Before filling the tube blow on it to open it up more. 
  • Use one of those slider things (pictured above) to help get the rest of the old paste out, and then to get the new paste all bunched together.
  • You can use about any flavoring, some good ones would be
    • Cinnamon
    • Orange peel (dried/ground)
    • Sweet Orange Essential oil
    • Peppermint Essential oil
  • Whipping the coconut oil should prevent it from getting hard, but if it does, just run the tube under some hot water, and it should loosen up a bit!