11/22/13

Two Ingredient Chicken



One of the absolute favorite and most requested meals in this house is chicken nachos. When any of our friends are coming over for dinner that's always what they request. I don't mind a bit because it is seriously the easiest thing to make and people rave about it like it is the best thing ever made! I honestly feel a little guilty when people are impressed and blown away...and then they ask the dreaded question, "This is SO good, you HAVE to tell me your recipe!" I cringe, and I sheepishly tell them the two ingredients and two steps. And then they are blown away by my simple genius.

We all love a simple meal, right? What's better than a simple meal, a meal that requires almost no work. Even the cooking challenged can handle this one! What's better is the versatility of this dish, we almost always have it with homemade tortilla chips, but it would certainly work for chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken tortilla soup, chicken quesadillas, chicken salad, and I'm sure many other things!











  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
  • Salsa










When I make this it's usually for 4-6 people, so I use an entire bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts. And we always have leftovers, last night this fed five adults and three children with a large container to send home with our guests. We like leftovers, plus you can freeze this chicken, so even if you only use a little bit of it, you can toss the rest in a freezer bag and have it later. Use less or more chicken, depending on your family size. Put the chicken in the slow cooker, I put it in frozen. Dump a large jar of salsa homemade, store bought, doesn't matter, over the chicken, set the cooker on high, put the lid on, and walk away for six hours. 


That's what I left at 9:30 in the morning.


What I had at 3:30 in the afternoon, you can see some big chunks of chicken still left, just run a fork through it and it will easily shred. I turned it down to low, and we ate about 6:00, by then most of the liquid had been cooked down. Around noon, it looked really watery, but by the time I pulled it out to serve there was hardly any juice left. So, don't worry if it looks really watery for a while, it'll be fine!

That's really it! Simplest meal ever! 

I often add cumin or taco seasoning to spice it up.You could use a jar of diced tomatoes, and dice up a pepper and onion and some garlic, instead of salsa, if you prefer to make things complicated. 

This is a really simple and customizable meal. The spice level depends on what kind of salsa you buy or make. We're mild people personally, and since I usually make it for company I make it mild and then provide hot sauce, onions, etc.