1/30/14

Book Review~All Things Hidden

I was given the opportunity to read and review All Things Hidden by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse. First of all, I have a story that has nothing to do with the book at all, but will probably make you laugh. I opted for the e-version of the book to review because I love my Kindle. Seriously, that thing is like an extra appendage. However, I couldn't get it to download. I tried and tried and I couldn't get it to show up on my Kindle, frustrated, I downloaded the Kindle App on my phone and decided I would just read it that way, it was taking me forever to read it that way and I was getting really frustrated. Then, last week the baby got a hold of my Kindle for just a few moments and managed to accomplish in minutes what I couldn't do in weeks. Go figure. She downloaded it for me, and finally I was able to read it!

The first thing I want to share about this book doesn't really have any bearing on the story line itself, but the ease of reading. I think the authors must have had trouble with their "f" key. That's really the only explanation I could come up with. Some "f words" [not bad words, words containing the letter f] would show up fine, and others wouldn't. For example, it would mean to say "off of" but show up as "o  o" other times the f would be in the words. I'm not really sure what the problem was, but it didn't effect the story, just the ease of reading, I hoped it would be something just in the beginning of the book, but unfortunately, it was this way throughout. Some of the words were easier to decipher than others. Mistakes happen and technology throws tantrums. I only bring it up to hopefully draw their attention to it, so they can go back and add some "f"s!



This is a historical fiction, set in Alaska in 1935. 200 families were chosen to be pioneers in the Matanuska Project, for FDR's New Deal project. The book takes you through the difficulty and excitement of relocating and building a new settlement. Gwyn and her father, Harold Hillerman have been living there for many years already, comfortable in their roles as doctor and nurse to the small community, and the natives. When Gwyn finds out about the new families coming to settle in her valley she struggles with acceptance, worry, and change. 

Meanwhile, Jeremiah Vaughan, a young doctor in Chicago is struggling with his own share of struggles. Through a series of unfortunate events, he too finds himself in Alaska, helping out Dr. Hillerman at his medical clinic.

This book is chalk full of actual historical events, though a fictional book, they went to great lengths to present accurate facts from the time and the territory. This is a Christian novel, and has a great message of redemption, forgiveness, and trusting in God, even when we don't want to. 

Their is really something for everyone in this book, so many different lessons to be gleaned from these characters, it really hit me with a message I needed to hear in my personal life, and I can see many different ways it could have that impact on others. This is a book of history, change, romance, forgiveness, mystery, redemption, faith, love, hope, survival, friendship, and community. It really has a little bit of everything, they even address issues of racism and modesty in a very tasteful manner.

I sincerely hope that this is the beginning of a series, if so, they can go ahead and put me down on the waiting list for the rest! 

I give this book 5 stars,and I will likely read it again.

You can purchase the book:
On Amazon

Baker Publishing Group


I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my review, but all opinions are honest and mine alone.