2/15/14

Homemade Brownies and Chocolate Icing



I'm not much of a baker. I love to cook, but baking is just not my thing, never really has been. My husband loves brownies, normally when he requests them I pull a box off the shelf, mix a few things together, and pop them in the oven.

Yesterday was Valentine's Day and he had mentioned more than once throughout the week that he could really go for some brownies, so I thought I'd make him some, and because we were out of the boxed mix, I had to make them from scratch. I always remember while baking that it's really not that hard, and I'm totally capable, and the look on my husband's face when he comes home from work to treats straight from the oven is totally worth it. 

So, maybe I'll try to make things from scratch more often. Maybe you can too, here's my brownie recipe, and also a delicious homemade chocolate icing recipe to go on top. Which, in the words of my husband is "so good if you put it on my shoe I'd still eat it" 













  • 1/2 Cup Oil ((Coconut, Vegetable, Butter, etc.))
  • 1 Cup Sugar ((or 2/3 Cup Agave Nectar))
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt










Preheat the oven to 350.
Grease a 9X9 baking dish, or for thicker brownies, an 8X8, that's what I used.
Mix your wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine them together.
Bake for 20-25 minutes
30 if you use the 8X8 dish











  • 3 Tbsp. Melted Butter
  • 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. Milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla











Mix together the butter and cocoa powder first, and then add the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. Pour over still warm brownies, this way it spreads without much effort on your part, and no crumbs in your icing.

Cut and serve.


Easy and delicious. Even for us non-bakers.