12/27/14

Book Review~Runes:Book One








Title: Runes: Book One
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, YA
Author: Ednah Walters
Purchase Links: Amazon
Connect With the Author: WebsiteWebsite2,









Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her. 

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run. 


Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about him. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only is she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life 











I generally don't like this type of book. Fantasy, magic, gods and goddesses, etc. generally not my thing. I decided to give this a shot when given the opportunity to review it. Holy wow am I glad I did! I could NOT put it down. I tried. I tried not to like it. I lost. This was such a good book. I was glad that I had the second one ready to go when I finished it because I NEEDED to jump right in and see what was happening with my favorite characters. Generally I don't even consider the next book in a series until I'm finished with the one I'm on. Not with these books. I'm not even halfway into the second one ((Immortals)) and I'm already wishing that I had the security of knowing the rest of the series was waiting for me to review!

Honestly, I think Ednah Walters has completely converted me and changed my way of thinking about these types of books. Runes is fast-paced, exciting, and well-written. I loved it, and will be reading the rest of the series, I know that already. This is one of those books that completely sucks you in and has you unable to wait to turn the page.

My only complaint, and this seems to be true of most YA books, is that there is little actual development of the relationship between the couple before they are so in love they can't survive without the other. I know that this is a common theme in these books, but I think it sets up a poor example of how relationships should grow and develop. I'm not saying you can't be attracted to or know you deeply care about someone right from the start. I am saying I don't think it's healthy to feel like you lost part of yourself over a guy you barely know at age seventeen. It's also not healthy to feel like your universe revolves around someone else so much that you can't go on without them. Your spouse of fifty years? Sure. Your not-even-official-boyfriend of a few weeks? Not healthy. This isn't a critique on this author specifically, but of the genre overall. It's important that we're sending appropriate messages to young girls and boys. Especially about relationships and when everything else about the female lead is strong and independent.

Overall, I loved this book so much I couldn't even wait long enough to write this before I dove into the next one. This is definitely one of those series that has me doing the whole "just one more chapter" thing for four chapters before I have to force myself to put the Kindle down.

I wholeheartedly recommend this series to anyone that likes this type of book...or in my case, doesn't. Plus, it's free on Amazon, so, what do you have to lose?

  



Sex? No.   
Language? No
Drugs and alcohol? Not really. I think a few casual drinks, by adults. Nothing too over the top.
Religion? Mythology 
Anything else I should know? No. Unless you want to quickly brush up on your gods and goddesses. 



Ednah is the author of The Guardian Legacy series, a YA fantasy series about children of the fallen angels, who fight demons and protect mankind. AWAKENED, the prequel was released in September 2010 with rave reviews. BETRAYED, book one in the series was released by her new publisher Spencer Hill Press in June 2012 and HUNTED, the third installment, will be released April 2013. She’s working on the next book in the series, FORGOTTEN. Ednah also writes New Adult paranormal romance. RUNES is the first book in her new series. She is presently working on book 2, IMMORTALS. Under the pseudonym E. B. Walters, Ednah writes contemporary romance. SLOW BURN, the first contemporary romance with suspense, was released in April 2011. It is the first book in the Fitzgerald family series. Since then she has published four more books in this series. She's presently working on book six.