1/12/15

Book Review~The Mine






Title: The Mine
Genre: Romance-Time Travel, Historical Fiction, Adventure
Author: John A. Heldt
Purchase Links: Amazon
Connect With the Author: WebsiteFacebookAmazonIndie ViewGoodreads, ShelfariTwitter








THE MINE: In May 2000, Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of swing dancing and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE is a love story that follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come.









I need to preface this by saying that time travel confuses me to no end. I just don't get it. If I ever fall back in time it will be the shortest, most boring time travel story ever. Seriously, it will read: "Amanda woke up in 1941, she was terrified and confused, in an effort to not alter the course of history she curled up in a tight ball and died of exposure, dehydration, and/or starvation. All of the forest animals had a tasty treat and Amanda died confident in the knowledge that she would not be responsible for the collapse of civilization. THE END."

That would be all she wrote, folks. I just can't get my brain to wrap around it. What if it was meant to happen? What if it wasn't? What if The Doctor shows up and prevents space aliens from taking over the planet? What if I was supposed to do A, and I did Z instead? It makes my brain hurt.

All that aside, I still agreed to read and review The Mine. I'm glad I did, because you know what doesn't make my brain hurt? Love. I get love! I'm not just talking romantic love either. This book explores other types of love as well, such as the love for family and friends. The love of others that causes us to treat people with dignity and respect.

The big theme I got from The Mine, is that love transcends time and logic. This was such a beautiful story of love, loss, friendship, history, and yes, time travel. I loved watching this story develop, laughing with the characters and watching as Joel tried to fit into yesteryear without destroying civilization as we know it.

The Mine is well written, relatable and captivating. It has some great curveballs at the end. At 99% in the book I wanted to toss my Kindle and punch John in the face for writing such a terrible piece of literature. At 100% I was ready to kiss him and recommend this book to everyone I saw.

Read this book. It was so good, and not at all what I expected to see going in.

Time travel still makes my  brain hurt, but Joel Smith's journey doesn't. It makes sense to me, it was beautiful and exactly what was supposed to happen.




Sex? It is alluded to but nothing inappropriate or explicit.  
Language? A little. Nothing awful or distracting.
Drugs and alcohol? Casually.
Religion? Not really. 
Anything else I should know? Nope.



John A. Heldt is the author of the critically acclaimed Northwest Passage series. The former reference librarian and award-winning sportswriter has loved getting subjects and verbs to agree since writing book reports on baseball heroes in grade school. A graduate of the University of Oregon and the University of Iowa, Heldt is an avid fisherman, sports fan, home brewer, and reader of thrillers and historical fiction. When not sending contemporary characters to the not-so-distant past, he weighs in on literature and life at johnheldt.blogspot.com.