2/23/15

Book Review~Paranoia






Title: Paranoia
Genre: Fiction, Psychological Thriller
Author: Ryan Fortier
Purchase Links: Amazon                        
Connect With the Author:  Facebook









“Jacob, we’ll love you always.” 

These are the words that will always haunt Jacob Tyler, the last words spoken by his dying mother. For seventeen years Jacob led a near-perfect life, but that all changed with a brutal home invasion. Four months later, he struggles to return to the lively and humorous teen he once was. Though progress is made, it is wiped clean when he believes the killer has returned to toy with him. Now, along with his best friends Sarah and Keith, Jacob takes it upon himself to solve the crime that slowly destroys him. 

A psychological thriller that aims to show how one horrible event can drive anyone to the brink of insanity, Paranoia is the debut novel from Ryan Fortier. Witness the devastating effects of insomnia, crawl inside a degenerating psyche, and discover how dangerous paranoia can truly be.










Paranoia is a gripping, fast-moving book that compels you to turn the pages. It's well written and engaging. It pulls on the heartstrings for sure. Ryan does a great job of showing what can happen to the most normal and high-functioning of people when tragedy strikes. Unfortunately, this is one of those where I can't say too much or it will reveal too much. If you like mystery and suspense and are okay not knowing all the little details, then this book is for you, and I highly recommend it. If, however, you're like me and like all of the loose ends to be tied up and all the questions to be answered, then read at your own risk!

As much as I enjoyed reading this one I was beyond disappointed that not all of my questions were answered and at one other thing in particular ((which I can't divulge without giving away spoilers)) that I emailed the author and demanded to know his plans for a follow up. Sadly, there aren't any. For this reason I am inventing a new rating on my scale, 3.5 stars. I can't give it four for the reason I can't tell you, but it also doesn't deserve three. This is a well-written and engaging book and I encourage you to check it out. 

  



Sex? No. 
Language? Yes.
Drugs and alcohol? Yes.
Religion? No
Anything else? Yes, there could be some triggers. 


Ryan Fortier is a 24 year-old novelist, veterinary school student, and aspiring screenwriter.  He has written since the age of 14, but Paranoia is his debut novel.  He is currently promoting this book, as well as finalizing a pilot script for a children's animated television show.  He was worked in close conjunction on this endeavor with Mike Gasaway, director of such shows as The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.  Ryan Fortier's next book will be a novelization of this screenplay.  He welcomes all questions and concerns about his work, which may be directed to his email at quietthinker1@yahoo.com


*I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are 100% my own.
*Thank you to The Indie View for connecting me to this author.