3/16/15

Book Review~ Traitor in the Sheikh's Bed










Title: Traitor in the Sheikh's Bed
Genre: Fiction, Romance, Contemporary
Author: Ros Clarke
Purchase Links: AmazonAmazon UK, Kobo, Barnes & NobleiTunes                
Connect With the Author:  WebsiteFacebook, Twitter








Mariyeh Karimi is getting married. To Sheikh Salim of Abuqir. A man she's never met but already hates. Not because they want to. Not because they are in love. No, this marriage is all about political alliances and military threats. So Mariyeh is entering this marriage with eyes wide open and mouth tightly shut. She's marrying Salim to spy on him and seduce him into sharing political secrets. Only she’s not a good spy and she’s even worse at seduction.

Salim doesn't care who he's marrying, just as long as he can take the throne of Abuqir away from his father before he thrusts their country into a pointless war with their neighbours. It's a shock to discover his innocent little bride spying on him, but that's just the first revelation. After a lifetime of being shielded from power and responsibility, both are suddenly thrust upon him and Salim is rushing to catch up.

He needs to protect his people, prevent an unnecessary war, and win the loyalty of his treacherous little wife. Winning her love will be an unexpected bonus. 








A Traitor in the Sheikh's Bed is a great romance. I'm trying to think of things that I didn't enjoy about this book and can only come up with two things, and one of them is sarcasm. First, it could use a teeny bit more editing, nothing overly distracting at all. A few missed 'a's and a "the the" here and there. Second, she gets to use the fun, British English spellings and that's just wholly unfair. People in America would think I was nuts if I began adding 'u' to some of my words!

Okay, seriously. I loved this story. I don't know why, but I'm always drawn into arranged marriages. This one was no exception. We get to follow the rocky beginning of their relationship, the secrets Mariyeh is holding onto, and the path that she takes to recover from them. One of the best parts about this book is how strong and independent Mariyeh is. Yet, not in an over the top way. She's independent and stubborn, and capable of far more than anyone gives her credit for. Especially herself.

Overall, fantastic character development, great story line, and in my opinion, just the right length.I would estimate a few hours binge reading. I was able to read it over the course of my normal day, mixed in with my normal life. I highly recommend this to those of you that enjoy a good romance novel. This is the first of her books I've had the pleasure of reading, but I wouldn't hesitate to say yes if she asked me to read another! She's definitely been placed on the list of authors I want to read just for fun!  
  



Sex? Yes, but not written in an erotic way. It's very straightforward, to the point, and actually pretty necessary to the plot. 
Language? Maybe??? None that stands out.
Drugs and alcohol? No.
Religion? They are Muslim, but it doesn't push it down your throat, and is only acknowledged to better set the stage of where and how they live.
Anything else? Yes, there is mention of sexual assault, which could be a trigger to some. 

Ros is a writer, a church worker, a crafter, a blogger, a twitterer, a lazy gardener, and an appalling housekeeper. She lives in a sixteenth century shed in England and is very glad that it has twenty-first century plumbing. She is interested in almost everything except cricket and football (US and UK) and mostly she likes happy endings in fiction and in real life. Ros has been writing stories for as long as she can remember, never dreaming that other people would be interested in reading them. A few years ago, she discovered a writing forum on the internet, and has never looked back. Her head–and her hard drive–are full of ideas for fresh, fun, contemporary romances that she hopes you’ll love as much as she does.





*I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are 100% my own.
*Thank you to The Indie View for connecting me to this author.