3/14/15

Book Review~The Return









Title: The Return
Genre: Fiction, Mystery
Author: Carter Vance
Purchase Links: AmazonSmashwords                   
Connect With the Author:  Website








The Return is a story of the modern day fulfillment of the Grail prophecy.

The time has come for the prophesied return of Christ. Long thought extinct, the secret Order of Knights Templar battle the Dark Forces that fear His return.

At the center of this battle of good and evil is Sarah Davidson, an expectant mother, who has a unique heritage, and Peter Christos, her shipping magnate husband. The couple, who were married in the presence of the Ark of the Covenant, is confronted with a series of surreptitious schemes and attacks causing them to flee and seek a secure birthplace for their son.

They are aided in this endeavor by the Knights Templar, a clandestine organization that has, over the centuries, amassed enormous wealth and power and the organization to deliver it in anticipation of this day.

Ultimately, they engage in a grand battle for the prophesied birth








I really struggled to get through this one. For personal and technical reasons. Let's begin with the technical ones, shall we? The writing is very dull. It very much reads like an itinerary. These are the events, this is what happened. I don't know what these people feel and how they think. They are all very one dimensional. The writing lacked any flair or creativity. For example, one sentence that really stuck out to me was "It looked old, because it was." Really? Come on now. Why not "The imposing stone structure was beginning to show its age. After hundreds of years serving as..."? Or something along those lines. That way we know it not only looks old, but is old without being bored to death.

This was quite a disappointment to me because I really liked the idea of the plot line. The follow through just wasn't there. I very much dislike when an author switches between several different points of view. I think it detracts from the plot line and makes it more difficult to fully develop a character. A good rule of thumb, in my reading experience is two or three POVs, tops.

I think the biggest draw back to this book was the writing style...or lack thereof. I mean, if someone is dying a slow, painful death I should feel something! I should understand that this is what's happening, I should want to rescue the character and help them. I'm not a heartless person by any means, but not only could I not connect with the characters, but I also couldn't connect with the scenes because they were written without any emotion and were very stiff and formal.

Now, for the personal reasons this was a tough one for me. I'm Catholic. I'm a devout Catholic that reads theology for fun and has priests that are friends. They say in this book that the Blessed Mother wasn't a virgin when Jesus was conceived in her womb. And Jesus had a daughter. I about flipped a lid. I have priests that are dear and close friends and the line "It was not a place for the average pedophile priest or lesbian nun." is seriously written in there...implying that most priests are pedophiles and nuns are lesbians? Not to mention the insane amount of corruption at the Vatican. I understand fiction and needing it to work for the story line. I guess my faith is a hard line for me. The divinity of Christ is very much underplayed, and that really bothered me. 

I feel awful, I like never do this, but I'm giving this one two stars. Even without all of the jabs at my faith I don't know that I'd be able to give it three with writing style alone. 
  






Carter Vance is a financial executive who has extensive knowledge of prophecies, religions, relics, and the esoteric. 

Drawing from actual rare, ancient,secret prophetic records in his possession, and the work of his staff astrologer, Carter has written the Second Coming Series which is a spellbinding account of how the prophecies may be fulfilled in the return of Christ to our modern day world.


*I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are 100% my own.
*Thank you to The Indie View for connecting me to this author.