5/15/15

Book Review~ Drifting Fines








Title: Drifting Fines
Genre: Christian, Romance, Mystery
Author: Ugo
Purchase Links: AmazonSmashwordsBarnes & NobleScribd      
Connect With the Author: WebsiteFacebook








When Christian Cervello and Isabella Montes meet, more than romantic sparks fly. There's a greater purpose to their meeting: Isabella holds the key to unlocking the secrets of a curse that has haunted Christian's family for half a century. Not only have generations of family members died, but the lives of Christian and his sister, Rachel, may be at risk, as even those closest to the Cervellos plot against them. 

Set amid the lush homes of Key Biscayne, Florida, and in São Paulo, Brazil, Drifting Fines explores one family's battle against the evil that surrounds them. Can Christian, whose brilliant mind sometimes plays tricks on him, overcome his own weaknesses? Or will his tendency to place his trust in the wrong people drive away Isabella and doom his whole family?








I really struggled to get into this one. I always have a hard time with books where the characters are irrevocably, head over heels in love with each other...before barely exchanging a sentence. I guess it bothers me so much because I see people try to do this in real and their relationships usually flounder. I know that they're fictional characters, but I always struggle when they don't behave at all like normal people.

In some places it felt like the author was channeling a little bit too much of Fifty Shades with his male lead and some of their interactions. There isn't any sex or BDSM, but with the attitudes, mood shifts, and strange parts of his personality, I got a strong Christian Grey vibe. I'm pretty sure Christian Cervello has a serious mental illness by the way his mind works and is separated. I hope that that's addressed appropriately in the rest of the series.

However, by the end I was definitely intrigued enough to want to read more. While the relationship and personalities are hard to digest, I really enjoyed the adventure and mystery aspect. Especially all the meddling from perceived friends and coworkers...though there is some of that, that again doesn't reflect typical human behavior. If you're suspicious of someone, you're going to keep them at arm's length, not go hang out with them and prepare for an event. Just a few little kinks that can be ironed out.

Overall, I found it intriguing, interesting, and decently written. A solid three stars. This is a cliff-hanger and not a stand alone.

  











As a Psychotherapist, I specialize in Anxiety related disorders and love helping people find theirway back to wholeness. When it comes to writing, I feel most comfortable with the title, Storyteller. I wrote Drifting Fines because I had an inspired story and I told it. In fact, I didn't think I had a choice - not if I wanted to maintain my sanity *laughs.* I enjoy seeing a story come to life on paper (out of my head).

I sincerely hope that Drifting Fines touches your life in a positive way. If you think someone in your life may identify with a character in this story, please share the story with them and learn how these dynamic characters resolve their issues. The story isn't finished. Based on what is left to tell, expect the final two parts in a few months.



*I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, all opinions are 100% my own.
*Thank you to The Indie View for connecting me to this author.