7/25/15

Book Review~ Creatura




Title: Creatura
Genre: Paranormal Romance, YA/NA
Author: Nely Cab
Purchase Links: Amazon















Isis can control her dreams. Or she could—until recently. The creature in her nightmares has been haunting her for months. As if being dumped wasn't bad enough, now she dreads going to sleep. She decides to confront the creature and win back some of her peace; only, she finds that he's not a monster and he's not a dream. A sacrifice for love, a shocking discovery and a jealous ex-boyfriend blur the lines between reality and dreams, making it hard to tell who the real monsters are. 
Who would've known...that sometimes love is lethal?












I'm split right down the middle here. On the one hand, I loved Creatura and I desperately want to read the rest of the series. On the other hand, I have huge issues with the veiled abuse that is a common thread in new adult paranormal romances. We saw it in Twilight too. We have these ancient, should-be mythological men stuck in the bodies of teenage boys falling in love with innocent teenage girls and falling so hard and fast that they become controlling and abusive. However, the abuse is veiled and celebrated as being romantic.

Yes, it's fiction. However. The young ladies reading these books are real. They are generally a little younger than myself and are navigating the dating scene and are often naive and new at it. Believe it or not, these things seep into our subconscious and shape how we view relationships. I don't want my daughters or my friend's daughter-who I know reads these-to get into their heads that love=control and jealousy. At one point in Creatura David grabs her arm roughly and hurts her just because another boy is looking at her. That's not her fault. Why is she being punished for the desires of another? That's not sexy. That's not romance. That's abuse and it's never okay and never excusable. Ever.

That being said, I sincerely hope that the rest of the series redeems itself because other than those things (which are big things) it's really fantastic. I was so impressed with Isis in the beginning and so certain that she was going to be a refreshingly strong female lead as she didn't swoon at David's feet and rejected his advances at first. I admired that so much! That's not something we see often enough in these books. Another part of their relationship that I did enjoy was that David intentionally distanced himself in some ways and refused to be in any compromising situations with Isis and was willing to change for her instead of the other way around that we generally see.

Overall though the story line was great and well written. It kept me turning the pages and staying up late. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. I recommend this book, as long as you go in with eyes wide open as to what a healthy relationship looks like.

I'm giving it 3.5 stars, but rounding up on Goodreads and Amazon. 




As of this posting, it's free on Amazon.