7/20/15

Book Review~ Love Heals the Heart



Title: Love Heals the Heart
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Author: Diane Rose Duffy
Purchase Links: Amazon, B&N
















Fate had repeatedly dealt Gracie and Dylan a losing hand at any chance for love. 
From the first embarrassing moment their paths crossed, a budding relationship between Gracie Watson, a first grade teacher and Detective Dylan Sanders was met with one challenge after another.
The path to discover what love could mean for Gracie and Dylan slowly begins to form as they learn to trust again. Along with this, Gracie's best friend Trish and Dylan's partner Justin are locked in their own battle of sorts, vehemently denying the sexual chemistry drawing them together.      
Dylan and Justin are the lead detectives investigating a major drug operation in the small town Gracie and Trish were raised, and it's soon apparent the barriers they must overcome are more than any of them had bargained for.
Join Gracie, Dylan, Justin and Trish as loyalties, friendships and love are tested.  A battle for ever-lasting love will be fought as hearts seek healing in the most unlikely of circumstances.









This was not at all what I expected judging by the title, cover, and blurb. Not at all. Not even a little bit. I was expecting a fun, gooey romance. That's not what I got. I liked what I got. It's just that I was anticipating the flavor of an M&M, but got a Skittle instead. It's great and I love Skittles too, it just took me a minute to adjust to the unexpected flavor.  Love Heals the Heart is hilarious. Laugh out loud funny, I tell you. Gracie's snark and inner dialog, even in stressful situations kept me entertained throughout.

While there's a lot that I really enjoyed in this book, there was something lacking. It was like something was missing, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I felt this way through the entire book. I think it just needs more meat. Especially where Gracie and Dylan's relationship is concerned. There's a lot here, and a lot of good, it just doesn't flow cohesively and leaves you wanting where their development is concerned. It just jumps really quickly in the beginning and left me really confused. Then they had to have the same discussion twice, and it felt like Gracie was way too eager to forgive, in comparison with the rest of her personality.

There's a nice mix of funny and serious, especially the funny in the serious. Diane did a great job melding the two together. The relationship between Gracie and Trish is fantastic and I loved watching their interaction. 

There are lots of twists and turns, and plenty to keep the pages turning. As I mentioned before, this book is absolutely hilarious. And a little serious too. I held my breath until the end. Things got pretty intense there for a minute. Overall, I really enjoyed Love Heals the Heart, and look forward to the next one! 







Diane Rose Duffy is a California native who has always had a passion for books.  After a lengthy accounting career in Silicon Valley, Diane now enjoys the peaceful serenity of daily life in the Sierra Nevada foothills of Northern California. Pursuing her lifelong dream of establishing herself as a published author, Diane has completed two novels with the support of her husband whom she proclaims is her, ‘happily ever after’. 



*I was given a review copy in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.