8/10/15

Book Review~ Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City #1)





Title: Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City #1)
Author: Penny Reid
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Length: 403 pages
Purchase: Amazon     
Connect with the Author:  Facebook, Goodreads



There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse
I hear a lot of women refer to the male leads in romance novels as "book-boyfriends" I've never felt the desire to jump on this particular bandwagon. However, in this instance, I can make a slight exception. No, I'm not going to refer to Quinn as my book-boyfriend. I am, however, going to start thinking of Janie as my book-bestie. She's intelligent, witty and adorably awkward. I loved her to pieces and related to her personality on so many levels. I too am awkward and have diarrhea of the mouth when I'm nervous. I get it. 

It was refreshing to see an intelligent heroine. Usually we're told that they're smart. Here we were shown that she's intelligent. Furthermore, smart people are often oblivious to the obvious and socially awkward, so I thought that was demonstrated well. I really enjoyed Janie and thought she was presented well and realistically. 

My only real complaint here is the way that the conflict with Jon just fizzled out. He was too persistent to have quit as easily as he did. My only other complaint is that in a book where the female lead is super smart and goes on tangents about language and grammar there can be absolutely zero errors. You can get away with it in a lot of novels, but the second you make them smart and give them rants about language, any and all errors become flashing neon signs. There aren't a lot, but there were a few and they stuck out because of this. 

Aside from that, I'm a huge fan of this book. It was laugh out loud funny and intelligent. I very much enjoyed and recommend this one! I'd love to read more of her work!    







At the time of this posting, it's free!