8/17/15

Book Review~ Talon








Title: Talon
Author: Shevawn Michelle
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Length: 218 pages
Purchase: Amazon     




Life has a funny way of getting us to where we ultimately belong. Even if that isn’t what we had pictured for ourselves.

Talon had it all, or so he thought. A nice home, a great career, a wife whom he loved more than life itself. For most, it takes a lifetime to achieve your dreams, but for some, those dreams are achieved early with determination and hard work. That was Talon. But one tragic accident would strip him of everything. 

Kimberlyn is a single nurse, who spent the last three years of her life scraping by to save enough money to buy her dream home. That dream home brought her to Talon. When Kimberlyn enters the picture, can she help put the pieces of Talon’s life back together? Or is he already too far gone?






I really enjoyed Talon. The plot moves along nicely and all of the characters are well developed, their motivations and personalities clear. It kept me guessing in parts. It's a pretty quick, enjoyable read that wraps you up and keeps the pages turning. It did have a few issues, but I liked it nonetheless.  

This is one of those that I loved the plot, but the writing could use a bit of work. There were quite a few spots where I felt that the wording was clunky and awkward to a point of distraction. It was too formal. No one talks like that. Especially Talon's interactions with his mother. They remind me of the dialogue from one of those after school specials. I hope that makes sense. It's the best descriptor I can come up with. 

The other big issue I had was that Kimberlyn's family is painted as fairly close-knit, yet when she's going through a horribly scary and serious time in her life, they're basically non-existent. I come from a tight family. If I were in that situation, you had better believe my mom, sister, and grandmother would become extra appendages until it was over! It just didn't fit with the picture of them given elsewhere. 

Overall, I did really enjoy this book. They actually communicated, which is refreshing to see. This is probably the first romance I've read in some time that I didn't find myself screaming for them to talk it out! Despite the above issues, this is a good book that I thoroughly enjoyed.   











*in exchange for an honest review, I was given a free copy.