9/1/15

Book Review~ Man the F*** Up






Title: Man the F*** Up
Author: S. Kincaid
Genre: Humor
Length: 32 Pages
Purchase: Amazon
Connect With the Author: Facebook







Man the F**k Up is a bedtime story for those in the real world today, where a white knight of strength and power protecting and honoring his fair lady is indeed left for the fairy tales. Before any guy or gal starts to count sheep for the night, Man the F**k Up is sure to provide a laugh or two on how times have’a changed.



I don't even know what to say. It isn't often that I find myself at a complete loss for words, but here I sit. Without words. 

When I received the email asking us to review this one my initial thought was "not happening." But then I thought that I may as well give it a quick look since it's only 32 pages and most of that's graphics. So, I gave it a look, it literally took five minutes to read. Typing this review is taking longer. I laughed. I laughed a lot. It definitely brought to mind a few men that I know. But thankfully, no relationships that I've been in. It made me hug my husband and thank him for being fantastic. But then it made me sad.

I think for a lot of women this is reality. This is the expectation. I know this was meant to be humorous, but it really is a sad reflection on our society. These things, these longings, these excuses shouldn't be the norm. In my house we have a mostly traditional marriage. My husband works, two jobs in fact. I stay home. I cook the food and wash the laundry, he takes out the trash and pumps the gas. I haven't opened a door with him in tow...ever. I've never paid for a meal when we've gone out. In a few weeks we'll have been together for eight years. However, he doesn't hesitate to do the laundry, dishes, or take care of the tiny people. He hasn't displayed any of the characteristics indicated in this short little book. For that I'm immensely grateful. 

Moreover though, I won't accept that kind of disrespect. You, my fellow women, shouldn't either. Ignore these types of men long enough and they'll either change or die alone. Don't stand for it and demand better. Now, I could go into a whole long rant about the long term impact of feminism and passive parenting, and the encouragement of these behaviors. But I won't. I will leave it at this: whether intentional or not, this is a great commentary on our society and expectations (or lack thereof) and could be a great conversation starter on topics that need to be discussed.

Also, I really enjoyed the illustrations. I felt like the timing of the words could have been improved to make this a much better "bedtime story" if that's what the goal was. And, this goes without saying, but there's a lot of cursing in this one.




*In exchange for an honest review I was given a free e-copy