9/24/15

Guest Post~Is Paleo a Trend?

I’m a self-proclaimed, recovering pretzel, bagel, all-things-bread addict. I was the gal that would gladly forego dinner and dessert for a hot, buttery pretzel sold in movie theaters. A cheap date, right?

Minus all the doctor bills that followed. Now, I’m not saying my bread addiction was the cause of my health woes, but I’ve seen some dramatic changes since going gluten free in 2012. I’ve seen even more positive changes since going Paleo last winter—upon the recommendation of my rheumatologist.

Some say it’s a fad—the new diet trend. Could be. Or perhaps we’ve become a little wiser about what we put into our bodies. But really, Paleo isn’t trendy, fancy, or complicated. It’s simply clean, healthy eating. I’m a laid back girl with a laid back pallet, so I tend to steer clear of all the high-dollar convenient products like coconut flour noodles and organic, omega-3, vegan, grain free cereal—at $5+ a box. I opt for the fresh fruit and a glass of almond milk instead.

Lunch? Lean chicken over fresh greens, drizzled with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Dinner? Salmon, fresh melon, and veggies sautéed in coconut oil, garlic, and fresh basil from my back porch herb garden. Easy-peasy, economical, and simply delicious.

The results? I’ve been Paleo for almost 9 months now, and have gained much needed weight. Prior to going Paleo, a simple trip to the grocery store could wipe me out for the rest of the day, now I can run 4 ½ miles in the morning and still enjoy my day. Before Paleo, an attack of acute pancreatitis and a colitis flare sent me to the ER for IVs. Prior to going Paleo, I literally felt as if my body was in constant revolt. Now I can feel myself getting better and stronger each day.

Which means, I have more energy to do all the things I love, like writing!

So, is it a trend? For some, maybe, but if it is, it’s a good one. One I hope will catch on like wildfire, because it’s about time health becomes trendy.
 
 
Jennifer Slattery writes soul-stirring fiction for New Hope Publishers, a publishing house passionate about bringing God’s healing grace and truth to the hopeless. She also writes for Crosswalk.com, Internet Café Devotions, and the group blog, Faith-filled Friends. When not writing, Jennifer loves going on mall dates with her adult daughter and coffee dates with her hilariously fun husband.
 
Visit with Jennifer online at JenniferSlatteryLivesOutLoud.com and connect with her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/JenSlatte
 
Intertwined:
Abandoned by her husband for another woman, Tammy Kuhn, an organ procurement coordinator often finds herself in tense and bitter moments. After an altercation with a doctor, she is fighting to keep her job and her sanity when one late night she encounters her old flame Nick. She walks right into his moment of facing an unthinkable tragedy. Because they both have learned to find eternal purposes in every event and encounter, it doesn’t take long to discover that their lives are intertwined but the ICU is no place for romance….or is it? Could this be where life begins again?
 
Intertwined, part of New Hope Publisher’s contemporary fiction line, is a great reminder of how God can turn our greatest tragedies and failures into beautiful acts of love and grace. Readers will fall in love with the realistic characters and enjoy the combination of depth, heart-felt emotion and humor that makes Jennifer’s novels so appealing. Readers will be inspired to find God in every moment and encounter in their own lives!

Buy it: