1/12/16

Book Review~ The Cupcake Witch





Title: The Cupcake Witch
Author: Poppy Lawless
Genre: Clean Romance
Length: 106 Pages
Purchase: Amazon









Julie

Buttercream. Vanilla. Fondant. Dark chocolate. Brown sugar. Molasses. Baking has always been my true love, but it wasn’t until my mother’s death, and the unexpected inheritance of Serendipity Gardens, that my bliss called me. Bittersweet. But Serendipity Gardens has more to offer than just a potential shopfront. An unusual recipe box left to me by a distant relative might be the key to unlocking my dreams.


Too bad the most powerful family in Chancellor has plans that could turn those dreams to ruins—literally.


Too bad the son of that powerful family is just the kind of guy I’ve been looking for.



Horatio

I suppose being heir to the Hunter family’s Blushing Grape Winery should make me happy, but nothing could be further from the truth. With my mother gone, my father has taken me under his wing, and I despise everything about the way he does business. Sour grapes, indeed. Instead of raising money for charitable causes, my true passion, I’m chasing my father’s manifest destiny.


Too bad his dream includes paving paradise.


Too bad the property owner is the sweetest woman I’ve ever met.



They say the course of true love never runs smooth.

But that’s nothing a magical cupcake can’t solve.
This was all kinds of adorable! This is my first book from this series, and I loved it. It was just so sweet. It has a slight paranormal element, but that's not really the focus of the story. I definitely want to go back and read the first book and read the rest of the series as well! It was such a cute little story. I do have two issues though.

Lawless overused a great word. The thing about awesome words is that they have to be used sparingly. Because they're awesome and not used very often, they stick out when you do use them and make an impression. Effervesce is absolutely one of those words. Using it once or twice is great, any more than that and you make an awesome word trite and it look like you're trying too hard. Don't get me wrong, it's a great word, but way too overused here.  

Second, I really wish we could have seen Julie develop her skills and come into her inheritance a little more. She accepts everything far too quickly. I would have liked to have seen her practice more, have a few mistakes, etc.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more!