1/13/16

Book Review~ Hollow





Title: Hollow
Author: Yolana Olson
Genre: Horror/Thriller
Length: 186 Pages
Purchase: Amazon









Jude McIntyre was born to fail. 
Her life was not something she would wish upon her worst enemy. A pretty, unloved girl she came alive again the moment when her mother died. 
But a devastating secret from the past is haunting her again.
She needs to find a way to keep the secrets safe inside of her like swore she would. 
When an idea forms in her mind to take her revenge on her past, she quickly puts it into play.
Unfortunately, the man that steps into Jude's world doesn't know 
the most beautiful face he's ever seen hides the darkest demons 
he'll ever meet
I wasn't a huge fan. I don't think anyone that's been a victim of severe abuse and conquered the emotional demons that come from that in a healthy, healing way will appreciate this book. Or at least I didn't. I was sexually abused repeatedly by my babysitter as a very young child. I was also physically abused by my mother's spouses/boyfriends. I spent most of my childhood healing and coping. To this day there are moments with my loving, kind, respectful husband that I just can't. But the important thing to recognize here is that 98% of the time I CAN.

I can trust. I can heal. I can walk in a dark parking lot again. I can enjoy sex with my husband. I can enjoy life. I can live. He damaged me, but he didn't break me beyond repair. He wasn't strong enough for that, and he never will be.

I tell you all of this to illustrate why I didn't really like Hollow. Yolanda paints the portrait of a girl who can't. She lets evil win, and I can't with that. We are not irreparable. We can have the power—without harming them or seeking revenge. We are capable. I just really felt throughout the story that she was saying that we can't.

This is just a really, really messed up story all around. Seriously twisted, and I get that some people enjoy that. I am just not one of them. I think I knew that it would be a little bit going in, but I had no idea it would be quite that twisted.

My conclusion is this: If you like healing, love, and happily ever afters: go find a different book.

If, however, you enjoy twisted revenge, shock factor, and have few moral objections, then you may want to give this one a try. I can see how some people would enjoy this story line, the writing is pretty good, and the plot is well developed. Even though I didn't like it, I can still see why someone else may, so for a solid plot, cohesive story line, and decent editing, I give Hollow 2.5 stars.