1/30/16

Book Review~ Oliver and Jumpy





Title: Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 34-36 
Author: Werner Stejskal
Genre: Children's Picture Book (3-8)
Length: 31 Pages
Purchase: Amazon









These illustrated cat stories are all about “Oliver and Jumpy”, who are best of friends and experience many adventures together. Oliver is an elegant black tomcat, who is full of himself. As a matter of fact he says: “I love myself!” quite often. Naughty, isn’t he? But his best friend Jumpy, a kangaroo lady, is aware that it is only a front! Oliver has a soft heart and will always want to help others. The great thing is Jumpy’s pouch, which Oliver loves to ride in! He calls her his kangaroo taxi! These little bedtime stories with their lovely illustrations are great for small kids. A parent can read the text and tell the child in his own words. These animal stories have sufficient text to keep early readers happy and provide some educational value. Depending on your device, there is pop-up text (at Amazon) or audio available. Several talented illustrators are essential to bring these children's stories to you in quick succession. Love you all! Meow! Check out the Free INTRODUCTION TO THE SERIES to see how beautiful the illustrations are! Story 34: How I found my Top Hat - Oliver did not always have a top hat! Story 35: Oliver in the Circus - Oliver performs in the Circus. Story 36: Ship Wreck – Oliver and Jumpy are diving to a wreck.
For this review I enlisted the help of our resident children's book expert, my eight year old, to give you her expert kid-opinion about this collection of books. Without further ado, her review! (edited only for readability) 

It's this really cool book that has a cat in it and is usually wanting something or needing to do something. And usually when he's trying to do something, something gets in the way. He either escapes or somebody helps him. I like that it's mostly about overcoming what sometimes gets in your way. It's also about never ever giving up when something gets in your way, Oliver worked hard to solve his problems. We all need to work hard to solve our problems. 

The pictures really help me to figure what's going on if there's something I don't understand. The pictures actually showed how they were feeling. I really liked the pictures because they were detailed and went along with the story good. 

Kind of in the beginning of the last one I was a little creeped out because I thought it was going to be about a scary story. I don't like scary stories or anything that's scary. But when I saw the colors getting lighter and turning more into a cartoon again like the other stories I began to like the story. I was glad it wasn't scary because if it was I would ask to stop reading it and just have my mom read it herself. 

When it came to reading big words that I probably didn't know I would try to pronounce the word and if I couldn't pronounce the word I asked my mom. Sometimes me and my mom play a game called what's the word, and what does it mean. My mom will say a big word I don't know, and I will have to try to see if I can guess what it means. That is exactly what we did with the book. I like big words because I love to learn big words I don't know, and why I like to learn them is because that way when I need to know that word I will already know what it means.  

I would love it if anyone who can read this book will. It's a good book about overcoming things. I give this book 100 stars because it is a very good book, or a very great book. My mom says there are only five stars to give, so I give it all of them.



This book is FREE at the time of posting!