2/10/16

Book Review~ 57 Pages





Title: 57 Pages
Author: Curtis Jackson
Genre: Political Cartoon
Length: 144 Pages
Purchase: Amazon









This is the fifth edition of the first book of cartoons by Long Island cartoonist Curtis W. Jackson. It was first published by Nook Books in August, 2014. He restarted cartooning to support written contents on his blog sites, Curtis On The News and Cartoons By Curtis W. Jackson. Between 2013 and 2014 those blog sites were cancelled, deleted out of the online universe, but numerous cartoons were saved and included in this book. 
In this edition new cartoons for this book were created and added in after the Google blog sites were discontinued. The drawings address social interactions on various themes and current issues including marriage, family and personal freedom. The number '57' indicates the number of chapters or sections of humorous drawings contained in Mr. Jackson's book, with exception of the title page and introduction chapter. It is recommended readers select 'publisher's default' in the settings of their e-book apps on their devices.
This one's hard for me. I reviewed this once before, but felt guilty and didn't post it publicly. The author came back after some revisions and asked me to read it again. I wanted to enjoy this. I wanted to laugh or feel enlightened...or something. But, I didn't. A good rule of thumb is if you have to explain your joke, then it isn't funny. Jackson reminds that everything in this book isn't necessarily meant to be funny as much as it is poignant, but even that falls short. I understood all of the cartoons just fine. They just weren't funny or well worded. I did enjoy several of the drawings themselves from an artistic point of view, but I just can't recommend this beyond that. 








*In exchange for an honest review I was sent a free ebook.