2/16/16

Book Review~ The Reapers





Title: The Reapers
Author: Ali Winters
Genre: Paranormal, NA
Length: 348 Pages
Purchase: Amazon









Having been a reaper as long as she can remember, Nivian knows that what she does is essential in maintaining balance. After being assigned to a rushed mark she finds that there is more to this human than any other she has encountered.

Kain had been living an ordinary life without a second thought until he meets Nivian who turns his world upside down. He is thrust into a world of hunters and reapers. The keepers of life and death have been feuding for centuries over a reason no one can even remember.

With Kain having been marked for reaping, and Nivian being hunted, they forge a friendship and together must find the truth in order to keep balance in check. Wrong choices could destroy everything. As they journey they discover hidden histories, powers, and lies and truths that have been spun since the beginning of time. The consequence of failure, unimaginable.
The Reapers is definitely different than anything I've read. I really enjoyed the mystery and discovery, learning who to trust, and what secrets there were to uncover.  It was an exciting ride to be sure! I would absolutely pick up another of Ali Winter's works. She did a great job of revealing just enough at the right times, and keeping me hooked.

There are a few things that knocked it down for me though, one of which is inconsistency. For example, in one instance Nivian shivers and rubs her arms from the cold, and a few pages later Reapers are unaffected by temperature. Another place this inconsistency pops up is where powers are concerned, but I'll leave it at that! Another thing was the switches in POV, I understand what she was trying to do, but it was difficult to keep up with where we were and whose head we were in. 

I also felt like the end was fairly rushed, especially with so much buildup to what was to come. There was a lot more potential there than what was used. Ali has a great story here, a really great foundation and idea, but I would like to see a lot more depth. Especially when it comes to understanding the powers, how they work, why the balance is so important, etc.

This could have easily been a five star book for me had those things I mentioned been taken into account. I know you can't please every reader. I get that. But, for me, these were the big issues. Another minor issue is that it really could use another look for editing issues, but that's not a huge deal as I didn't find it overly distracting or that it detracted anything from the read.

I'm going back and forth on whether I should give three or four stars here. On the one hand, I loved the concept and the characters and would love to read more in this series. On the other hand, it did fall short in all of the areas mentioned.